Monday, January 17, 2011

Criticism of The Greatest Game Ever Played by Mark Frost

This book has been a great read, and I have had a great time reading it. This book is mainly about two people Francis Ouimet and Harry Vardon. In the beginning of the book, Frost talks about both men and their early lives, and also how they picked up the game of golf. They both end up having fabulous careers in golf. They eventually meet in the U.S. Open, a huge tournament, and battle it out until finally the twenty one year old Francis comes out on top. This book is a true story, which also makes it more exciting because you know that it actually happened in the past.

I had trouble finding any bad criticism about this book because it seemed like every review I read, it was all positive. The only constructive criticism I have for the book was that there were many parts that were a little monotonous and boring, especially in the beginning. I feel like if Mark Frost cut out some of the unnecessary things about the two men's early lives, then this book would essentially be almost perfect.
Critics:
http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0786869208.asp- by Stuart Shiffman. "Even those new to the game will enjoy this wonderful insight into the early days of the game in both Great Britain and the United States." Stuart praised the book, and recommended it to avid golfers and beginning golfers. This source is very credible because there are a lot of book reviews on this site, and Stuart Shiffman has written many reviews. 
http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/golf/comments/greatest_game_every_played_book_review/- by anonomous. "A wonderful book. It’s compelling even though you already know the outcome." This source is also credible because this blog is all about golf, and the people who make this website know what they are talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Game-Ever-Played-Story/dp/B000FDFVYW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295394945&sr=1-1- by Publishers Weekly. "Frost's final chapters on the last two rounds of the 1913 Open have all the page-turning excitement of a blockbuster novel." This source was on the amazon website and it is very credible. It gives this book a great review saying that it is a "page turner."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, "I had trouble finding any bad criticism about this book because it seemed like every review I read, it was all positive." This really makes me want to read this book! Jeepers very persuasive, you have successfully peaked my interest. Hats off to you John Berdon, hats off.

    ReplyDelete